Thursday, September 24, 2009

Learning to Cook


Before getting engaged I very rarely cooked... and when I did I didn't enjoy it and was never any good at it. However, once I got engaged my mom told me I needed to start learning and once I did I would like it more. So, in order to make me learn my mom put me in charge of the meals at our house a couple days each week. (she was rather excited about this idea, I was not) I would plan out a couple meals, go grocery shopping (ugh), then of course actually make the meal, and then the worst part was doing the dishes afterwards. Now, I wish I could say I made fabulous food and was great right away, but that would be a lie. There were plenty of times I would spend way too much time in the store looking for one small ingredient, get frustrated and just leave and order dinner (seriously).. or I would cook and pull things out of the oven that were either over-cooked, under-cooked, or looked nothing like the pictures in the cookbook.

Needless to say it could be really frustrating... BUT the more I cooked the better I got with it and eventually I even started to enjoy it (a little). Now don't get me wrong, I am still learning to cook and I still have a long ways to go before I am as good as my mom... but at least it's not something I dread anymore. I actually like coming home and making dinner for us (except for on weekends, I refuse to cook on saturdays). Plus Vince and I do the grocery shopping together now (which makes me not mind it as much) and he usually even cooks once a week which is a nice treat to come home from work and just get to r e l a x. And the best part, we have a deal that whoever does the cooking, the other person does the dishes. (love that) So my goal now is trying to make some of my own recipes, or at least making adjustments to other ones instead of having to follow everything step by step... we'll see how that goes ;-)



Now if only I could learn to love doing the laundry..



1 comment:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

oh gosh jenna---i have the very same problem. I really sucked at cooking and sort of, kind of got better....but, I'm really not the best. I try to like it--but...I really just don't. I NEVER cook on a Friday or Saturday-ever. Its a law.

Also, if I cook, Declan always and I mean ALWAYS does the dishes (he um...sort of does them all the time...and the laundry...haha).

But yea..putting AWAY laundry is my very LEAST favorite chore, EVER.