Monday, January 23, 2012

Plan M

I randomly saw this quote the other day and I thought it was kind of perfect for some things going on right now.  So I saved it on my phone and sent it to Vince. He called me and jokingly said "So what are we on now, plan M?".

The thing is Vince and I have been together since we were 15 years old. Basically since we were just kids. So over the years we have made lots of different plans and that have either not turned out like we thought or that we chose to change. And last week was one of those times where we decided to make some more changes. Career changes, for both of us.

I have mentioned before about my personal debate about whether or not I wanted to work full time anymore. To be honest even though Kaylee is now 8 months old I still hadn't made up my mind. I was starting to lean heavily towards switching to part-time. So last week I went to talk to my office manager about what she thought about it and what sort of schedule I could make work. But when I went in there before I could even say a word she said she was glad I came by because she had been wanting to talk to me about changing my position.

Our company is made up of about 90 offices nationwide. My office manager runs our office and one of the other local offices. She wants to transition me into running her other office. It's a promotion which means more money, but also more work. It is a position that I really want and would have jumped at without a second thought before. Now, I'm not sure I want to take on a bigger job. So, after talking to her about it I am going to slowly start transitioning in February so that by spring I would be able to take it over. If I want to. She said we would use these next few months as a test run to see if it's something I want to do or not. If not, then I can stay with what I am doing and go part-time. It's completely up to me. I'm not going to lie I am a little nervous about taking on a bigger role, but also a little excited and happy that she trusts me to do it. So for now I am taking it one day at a time and seeing how it plays out.

Like I said we both made changes last week.

For the past 2 years Vince has been working 2 jobs. Not because he had to, but because there wasn't anywhere else to move with his old full time position and he wanted to switch to a different career. So he had to start at the bottom with the new company and work part time until he was able to move up. He has worked so hard the past couple of years trying to earn his spot. Well before the holiday he was finally moved up. He quit his other job and was back to only working 1 job. It's what he had worked is butt off (literally, he lost 40 lbs because of all the work) trying to get to for the past 2 years. And now that he finally had the position he wanted, he hated it. Seriously. It was a really hard thing to see him work so hard and be so disappointed. He wasn't going to switch jobs, he said he would just deal with it. But hating your work is miserable and I didn't want it to be like that for him.

So last week after a lot of talking we decided it was best for him and our family if he quit. We are lucky that his mom's company was able to take him on full time so that it was an even an option for him to quit. He is now in the process of looking for something else. We have a pretty good idea of where he will end up, but I don't want to jinx anything until that's finalized.

Honestly, I am just happy to have my husband working a normal schedule so we can actually see him again. 

So for now we are both working on figuring out "Plan M" and seeing where this takes us. 


Happy Monday!

7 comments:

SEL said...

I love that little quote. And I love the positivity you're keeping.

I'm sorry Vince didn't enjoy the job, but I'm so glad he had something to fall back on!

Something great is going to come along. :)

Kate Neal said...

I am so excited for you (no matter what you decide) and also feel so bad for Vince! I would feel the same way that you do after seeing him work so hard. Thankfully you are in a fortunate position for him to quit and move on. You're a great team so I know it will work out<3 It is funny how plans change though! I agree!

rkjalernpan said...

What a great way to look at life. I love the quote and just the honesty of your post =)

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I got super excited at first about you going part time, then saw you may be working more hours. I can see how that could be a really hard decision. As a mom you feel so torn. Either way whichever you decide, I say, do what feels right. ;) It'll work out. Also I had noticed in photos Vince looked like he'd lost weight!

angela.kolachny said...

I'm so happy that you got offered such a great opportunity, that's wonderful! I think that both you and Vince will do great with whatever you choose to do, at least there are lots of options. There's nothing wrong with going to plan Z either, that just means you can go back to Plan A and have lots of other plans to look for! Good luck, xoxo

Ashley @ Gratitude and Latitude said...

Crossing my fingers that Plan M works out for your family :) I'm sure whatever is meant to be will be. Good luck!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I can understand what it's like to not enjoy your position. That's great that he had the option of quitting. I hope everything works out!