Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Who needs sleep anyways?

A couple of the guys at work have become new dads recently and yesterday we were all talking about the craziness of being a parent to an infant.

One of the guys has a 3 month old that has been sleeping through the night since he was 10 days old. Seriously. Yes, I'm jealous. But his son is also very colicky, so he said he cries all day long. He said he wouldn't mind if his son woke up during the night if it meant that he was happy throughout day.

The other dad was the exact opposite. His daughter is 4 months old and is happy as can be all day long, but is waking up multiple times every night. He was saying he would do anything to have just one night of sleep even if it meant his daughter was cranky during the day.

This made me think about if I was given the choice which is better?

 I have had the joy (ha) of experiencing both sides of this with Kaylee.

When she was a couple months old she was a colicky, fussy baby all day.. BUT she slept 10 hours straight every single night. After she hit about 16 weeks old she turned into such a sweet, happy, content baby. But at night? She absolutely refuses to sleep. She goes to bed fine, but after that every night is different. Most often she is up just once, but we do have nights where she is up twice, and then there are those very rare random nights that she decides to give me a break and doesn't get up at all. (I would like those nights to happen more often. Please, Kaylee?!)

We have tried everything and she just won't sleep.

I miss my nights of peaceful sleep like crazy. There are times at 3am that I think like the 2nd dad and would deal with anything during the day just to have her sleep at night. But then once I'm up for the day and not in my middle of the night zombie mode, I know that's not true. I 100% percent would rather have her happy during the day. If I have to wake-up I might complain some, but I'll get over it.

Besides at this point I am getting used to functioning on no sleep.

I figure at some point she will sort it all out and realize she does in fact like sleeping. (with my luck, as soon as that happens I will be starting the whole process over again with another little one..) For now I will just enjoy all the smiles and laughs I get during the day (and maybe buy more concealer to cover up the dark circles under my eyes) and try to stop focusing on the stress of the long nights. Who needs sleep anyways?


3 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I was SO in your boat! I had the most angel-baby ever, happy, a joy, seriously, such a content little doll-baby all day long. BUT AT NIGHT? Good God. She was up anywhere from 1-5x a night until she was 11 months old. So annoying. But it's true. You learn to function on less sleep. And you kind of get used to it. The good news is, she will start sleeping better soon, promise :)

Jeannette said...

I would totally take a happy baby during the day over one that sleeps through the night. (Conveniently I have one, too!) I'd love to know who these husbands are that share the nighttime wake ups... Pretty sure mine pretends to be asleep since he used to be quite a night owl.

Miss Jonna Rose said...

I got a cranky baby during the day and at night. Now that she is 3 1/2 she just now is sleeping through the night. She is lactose intolerant and I am sure it has a big part.
I agree I have learned to function on no sleep... maybe play the mom zombie roll somedays but totally worth it.