Thursday, April 15, 2010

Live for 32

3 years ago tomorrow I woke up to what should have been a normal Monday morning at Virginia Tech... but instead it was chaos. 

I was a senior living in our sorority house (which was on the edge of campus) with 30 other girls. For those of us in the house who weren't already up and at class we were woken up a little before 8am by the sound of alarms all over campus going off and the sirens from the cop cars down the road. 

We had no idea what was going on, but it didn't take long to find out that there had been a shooting at one of the dorms, which at the time newscasters were reporting as an isolated incident. Unfortunately we would soon find out they were wrong.

Obviously, everyone is aware of what occurred over the next few hours. To say that it was a horrible time for everyone at Virginia Tech would be an extreme understatement.

At the same time it was something that brought the whole community and school together.

The weeks following the tragedy made me prouder than ever to a part of the Virginia Tech family. It brought even the best of friends closer, teachers and students were all on the same level helping each other cope, and the entire community was healing as one. I had always loved my school before, but I grew an even greater appreciation for what it really means to be a HOKIE. 

So this year and every year on April 16th, I will take time to really remember all 32 of those bright and talented individuals who lost their lives on that horrible morning... and I will also take time to remember how truly honored I am to be a Virginia Tech Hokie. 

"I ask each of you to take the time to be a Hokie this week. Appreciate life a little more, take in every moment around you, count your blessings, tell the people around you that you love them, slow down, remember what's truly important in life. And live for those 32 that do not have that chance." 4.16.07 ♥

"While 32 of our friends and classmates are in heaven trying to explain what a Hokie is, I stand here sure in the fact that I wouldn't want to be anything else." 4/16/2007♥

5 comments:

Alissa said...

Wow that's unbelievable that you were there. I remember that day what a tragedy. Thanks for posting this so we can remember.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I remember seeing all of it on the news and it was just so awful. I can't even imagine being there that day.

Michelle said...

what's a hokie? WE ARE! Living for 32. :) Hope you have a great day, Jenna! Are you going down for spring game? If so, see you there!

Kelly said...

What a sweet tribute to everyone who lost their lives that day. Thinking of you all! :-)

Kenj said...

Wow, I feel like this just happened yesterday.! Time simply flies by. I am so sorry you had to see this first hand. I can only imagine the emotions you were feeling. My heart goes out to all the victims families.