Thursday, April 8, 2010

words to live by..

So tonight I thought it would be a good idea to get started on packing (since we only have 1 month left until we have to get out and I don't think the buyers would appreciate me leaving a bunch of crap here haha).. and I decided to begin with my winter clothes and also organizing all the random things we keep in our office. 

Well, while cleaning out a big box of random papers/letters/etc I have kept over the years I came across something that my Dad (technically my stepdad but I have never thought of him that way) gave to me the morning before I left for my freshman year of college. Looking back over the years, it is probably one of the best gifts I have ever received. 

It was a letter. 

And I know it doesn't sound like much, but it meant more to me than I can even explain. 
 I didn't forget about it, but it's been in that box since we moved in a year and a half ago and I completely forgot that's where it was. So anyways, I'm not going to share the whole letter with you (because  really it would just be too long and probably so many inside jokes it wouldn't even make sense haha) but I do want to share this part: 

"Toward the end of your senior year it struck me that you would be going away soon and I won't be around every day (secretly I know you are glad). Over the past six months I started writing down pieces of advice that I thought would be useful. Some are more serious than others, but all of them have meaning. To be honest, I have not always lived up to all of this advice all of the time (shocking isn't it?), but I hope you would agree that I have been a decent role model for you. You are special to your mother and me and we will miss you, but we are excited for you. I am proud of the person you are and I know I will be proud of the person you will become. "

OK.. so first let me just say that even getting a letter from my dad was shocking. He has never been the type of person to really express his feelings or get sentimental over things.. and to know that he took the time to write out advice for me for 6 months was huge

There are about 7 pages of advice... so obviously I won't list it all here.. but I am going to share some of my favorites with you. They are little bits of advice that I hope one day to pass on to my children and they are definitely words to live by... 

Try to do what is right even if it isn't popular.

Offer suggestions when you complain.

Buy things that kids are selling.

Think about the future, but don't dwell on it. 
Find charities with a mission you agree with and support them with your money.

Take the time to travel. Learn to pack lightly when you go. (yea.. I'm still working on the packing part.. haha)

Sing the National Anthem when it is played.

Tip generously when the service deserves it. 

Visit Nana and Papa. They will feed you. (they live only about 20 min from Virginia Tech haha)

Read for pleasure.

Learn to speak in public. The ability to express yourself clearly and confidently will do more for you than any other skill. (I definitely agree with this one!)

Shop at nicer stores. Buy less, but buy better.

Stay out of debt. If you have to use credit, pay it off as soon as you can. (I can't think him enough for this advice, it has really helped me keep good credit!)

Don't watch too much TV. You can find better things to do.

Try different restaurants and different types of foods. 

Register to vote and vote every election.

Smile and say hello to people.

and my personal favorite piece of advice from my dad's list:

Come home often!

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

What a sweet gift!
Good advice papa!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It sounds like he gave you some great advice!

Kenj said...

This is really really sweet. You almost had the tears make an appearance. My dad has not been a part of my life since my freshman year in High School and its good to know that there are dads out there that do care about their daughters. (Even is he isnt biological) This advice is wonderful.

Kelly said...

That is SO adorable. What fantastic advice. If I had a letter like that from my dad (who's a big sap) I'd probably cry every time I read it ;-) Hope you're having a great weekend!