Monday, August 8, 2011

Kaylee's Birth Story (Part 1)

I know it's well overdue, but better late than never.

I had all intentions of writing this as one post, but after I realized how long it was I think it's better that I split it up a little. So tomorrow I will put up the rest of the story.

***

I had my last doctors appointment on a Wednesday at 40wks and 5 days and was still having ZERO progress. So when the doctor said I could either wait another week and see how it goes or I could go in that Thursday night and get induced Friday morning I immediately said yes! I was so over waiting.

So the plan was to go in on Thursday night and have cervidil put in just to help get things moving a little bit before they started the actual induction with pitocin on Friday morning. I was supposed to have the night in the hospital to just relax and rest up for the next day.

Well apparently Miss Kaylee didn't agree with that plan...

I checked into the hospital on Thursday night at 8pm. By 10pm the Dr was there and checked me once more before putting in the cervidil. I was still at a zero. So, she put in the cervidil but said it would probably only help me get to a 1 before the morning and I should be prepared to have a long day on Friday.

At that point I was just so excited (and nervous) to finally be having my baby the next day that I could barely sit still. Vince and I stayed up till about midnight just hanging out and talking with our nurse. Who by the way was AMAZING! Her and Vince actually knew each other, she was his neighbor growing up. I had never met her before, but I seriously fell in love with her immediately and couldn't have imagined having a different nurse. I was so grateful that I didn't have to switch nurses and she was with me throughout the whole process.

OK so anyways back to the story.. At about midnight I decided I should probably try to get some sleep since the Dr had said she would be back around 6am. Right as I went to move a little to get comfortable I felt a little leak. I just kind of stopped and sat there for a second and Vince asked me what was wrong, I told him I wasn't sure if my water had just broke or if I had peed myself. Which I honestly had never done before, but it wasn't a gush of water like I had expected and the leak stopped so I was so confused! Vince kept telling me to page the nurse and ask her to check, but I was so embarrassed that I wasn't sure what it was that I didn't want to ask yet. After 5 minutes of just sitting there I finally gave in and paged her.

When I told her she laughed and said she would check, but it probably wasn't my water breaking since I had just been checked and wasn't progressing yet. Well turns out it was my water! After she tested it and said that's what it was she left me stand up to go to the bathroom and right as I did I finally had the "gush" I had been expecting. (which by the way I am SO glad it happened at the hospital and not at home! lol)

OK so at this point it was like 12:30am and the nurse called the Dr to let her know my water had broke. The issue was that since I had the cervidil still in they couldn't check me to see if I was progressing anymore without taking it out and they didn't want to take it out just to find out I was still at a zero. The Dr said my water breaking had nothing to do with the cervidil it probably would have happened regardless and it didn't mean I was actually progressing yet. So since I was still feeling completely fine (the monitor was showing small contractions, but nothing I could even feel) they said to just go to sleep and they would check me again when she came back in the morning to take the cervidil out.

Sounded good to me, but again Kaylee had her own plans.

I fell asleep for maybe 10 minutes after the nurse left the room and then woke up to very strong contraction. It completely caught me off guard since moments before I wasn't feeling anything. Sometime over the next 30 minutes my contractions went from nothing to full on back to back contractions. The nurse came in without me even paging her because she said she had been watching them on the monitor and wanted to come make sure I was doing ok. At this point they were anywhere from 30-60 seconds apart. I felt like I barely had time to catch my breath in between. (I want to take a second out of the story to just say that my entire pregnancy I read all kinds of blogs and books about how contractions would feel and was so worried I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between false labor and real labor.. well let me just tell you, when it's real labor YOU KNOW. There is no mistaking it.) The nurse offered to give me some kind of pain medicine, but anytime I take pain meds I feel kind of out of it and I HATE that feeling so I told her no.

The nurse then called the Doctor again and she told her to take out the cervidil and check me. I had progressed to a 2. A freaking 2. I know I should have been happy to finally be making progress, but from the pain of the contractions I could have sworn I would have at least been a 4 at that point! The Doctor suggested that since I was still progressing slowly I should go ahead and get the epidural so that I could relax and sleep the rest of the night. I wanted to wait a little bit longer (which now I honestly can't remember what my point to waiting was?). The nurse said to just page her whenever I was ready and she would call the anesthesiologist. So at 1am we turned down the lights and I laid there trying to just relax and breathe through the contractions. By 2:30am I was over it. With them coming back to back like that, I gave up and had the nurse call for the epidural. I have a lot of respect for women who choose to go 100% natural, I couldn't do it.

Apparently it was a slow night at the hospital because within 15 minutes the anesthesiologist was there. I really didn't think getting the epidural was that bad. The worst part was just trying to sit completely still, since my contractions weren't far enough for the Dr to do it in between them. By 3am I was starting to feel MUCH better.

I thought I could finally at least relax for a few hours and get some sleep.

Wrong again.



(This is getting way too long, so I will post part 2 tomorrow!)

No comments: