Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Kaylee's Birth Story (part 2)

(check here for part 1)

At 3:15am I had just fallen asleep and then all of a sudden the monitors started beeping and flashing and then lights get turned on and 4 nurses came running in the room. One nurse got the Dr on the phone, 2 were checking all of the monitors and print outs, and the 3rd kept making me move and from side to side. My nurse at least kept rubbing my arm and telling me everything would be ok, but no one would actually tell Vince or I what was going.

I sat there freaking out, holding his hand and barely breathing waiting for someone to tell us something. After what seemed like forever, but was probably less than 2 minutes, I heard the nurse on the phone with the Doctor say they would start prepping me for a c-section immediately. My eyes instantly filled with tears I just turned and looked at Vince and right as he started to ask the nurse what was happening all of the beeping stopped.

Things got calm and quiet again.

The nurse talked to the Dr some more and then hung up. Finally my nurse turned to me and said apparently my baby girl didn't like the epidural and it had caused her heart rate to drop from 160 to 60 and they thought they were going to have to do an emergency c-section, but all of sudden she calmed down and her heart rate went back up. The nurse said she would be coming in every 15 minutes until the morning just to adjust the monitors and make sure she was still doing ok.

By 3:30am she turned the lights out again and told me to get some rest. Yea, like that was going to happen with her having to come in every 15 minutes.

I just laid there and shut my eyes and kind of dozed on and off and told Vince to lay back down and try to sleep for a few hours. I figured at least one of us should have some kind of sleep that night. So from 3:30 - 6:15am my nurse came in and out and Kaylee continued to do well the rest of the time. At some point during the time I started feeling really sick to my stomach so they gave me some nausea medicine, and I could feel a couple small cramps but nothing even worth mentioning.

At 6:15am the Dr came into the room. I was laying there half asleep and Vince was completely passed out still. She said she was just going to check me and then would get the nurse to start the pitocin. She checked and then looked at me and asked how I was feeling. I told her I felt ok, just tired and she said "well you may want to try to get some energy because I can see your baby's head and it's time to start pushing".

Umm.. WHAT?! I thought I was going to be here ALL day before having to start pushing. I was shocked! The Dr actually said she was just as surprised as I was. I yelled over at Vince to hurry up and wake up! The poor guy was so out of it at first. To be honest it was so unexpected and quick I think we were both not quite sure what was going on. 

The Dr quickly put a gown on over her clothes and paged to get another nurse in there to help once Kaylee was out. At 3:30am the room was set-up for delivery and she told my nurse to have me do a practice push. As soon as I did, the Dr (across the room) started yelling "no, no, stop!!" apparently my practice push almost pushed the baby out haha.

So the Doctor came over and sat down, the nurse stood to her right encouraging me to push and Vince stood to my left rubbing my back. I  held my own legs pushed for 3 contractions and then on the 4th she was out and laying on my chest. It was amazing, fast, surreal. It honestly felt like a whirlwind. I was still half asleep at 6:15 and by 6:46am I was holding my beautiful 6lb 15oz baby girl. Vince cut the cord and I took a minute just to stare at her.

It was by the far the best moment of my life.

The nurse then took her to weigh her and clean her up while the Dr helped finish everything with me. I honestly don't remember much about that part, I was too busy just staring across the room at Kaylee.


I was extremely lucky and didn't end up needing any stitches or anything like that, so by the time they were done with Kaylee I was all cleaned up too. The nurse then wrapped her and handed her to Vince. There are no words to describe what it felt like seeing him hold our daughter for the first time.


So that's our story. The whole experience was completely different than I had originally thought it would be, but it was amazing. I wouldn't change anything about it. Vince was wonderful the whole time. He stayed the next couple of nights at the hospital with Kaylee and I and then on Sunday (which was also Mother's Day) we got to take our baby girl home for the first time <3