Thursday, December 10, 2009

I never said I was good at baking..

... but I thought it would be fun to try :) I am actually decent with cooking these days, but baking is a whole other story. Normally when I make cookies I buy the break and bake type (which I guess doesn't really count as making them, more like I pull them apart and put them on a cookie sheet).. you know like these:



The only time I have ever actually made cookies was when I was little and really my mom did those, all I did was help pour in a thing or two and then pretend like I did it all myself  :) So last night my friend Angela and I decided we wanted to do something festive since it's almost Christmas and we thought it would be fun to make holiday cookies.

 So I started pulling out some ingredients..


and she started mixing them together.
 

..and while it was a good idea, I guess we didn't really think it through. Neither of us had ever made cookies ourselves before, but for some reason we both figured making them from scratch was super easy and we didn't even need a recipe.  After our first batch we realized we needed a little help, and decided to call Ang's grandmother for some advice (thank goodness for her, otherwise we may still be in the kitchen trying to figure it out!).Thankfully our next batch turned out much better:



 

Then we attempted decorating some of the sugar cookies....
 

my side got a little bit messy


So after almost 4 hours in the kitchen we ended up with 3 dozen sugar cookies, 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies, and TONS of laughs! We each only decorated about 6 sugar cookies before deciding to call it quits and just put the rest in bags haha... but Ang did get us these cute little containers that we used for the chocolate chip cookies :)



Also, I had to share this picture of what Vince and Ty did the whole time we were busy in the kitchen:



Overall it was a really fun night and now maybe next time I decide to bake some cookies I will have a better idea of what the heck I am doing! lol.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Those cookies look pretty good for making them without a recipe! If I tried to make cookies without a recipe I have a feeling they would not turn out nearly as well!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

cute ;)

my sister and I do our baking extravaganza the saturday before christmas...and I ALWAYS get bored of decorating the cookies after about 6. haha