Thursday, February 11, 2010

Another day off work! Well, for everyone but ME..

When I woke up this morning I checked my blackberry (aka: my life line) and kept my fingers crossed that I would have an email from work saying we were closed again today (especially since vince got a call from his work last night saying they were closed again)... but unfortunately, no such luck. There were no emails saying anything about the office being closed. I was a little disappointed to say the least..

Since all the roads around our house were still completely covered in snow I decided to wait a little bit before going in to work (one of the best parts of my job is that I don't have set hours I can kind of make my own schedule, as long as the work gets done no one cares what hours you technically work). Vince offered to drive me because he knows how much I hate driving in the snow (and because he wanted to have my car for the day since his isn't 4WD) and we left the house around 9am. When we pulled up to the office parking lot I noticed there were only 2 other cars parked when normally the lot is packed (especially since most people are at the office by 8am), but the lights were on and the doors were unlocked so I figured everyone was just running late like me and so I thanked the hubby for dropping me off and I went inside.  

About 2 minutes after I got into my office and turned on the computer, one of the guys from the warehouse came up and asked what I was doing at work..

 "ummm... it's not snowing anymore and I didn't get an email about work being closed so I assumed we were open?"

Yea.. well after he finished laughing at me for coming in the day after our area gets "the most snow in history" he said, "we need to make sure you get added to our call list, I guess they decided not to send an email and just call everyone today and you must not be on the list yet".  Oh, well yea that would nice. So glad I just made my husband wake up on his day off to drive me to work, when I didn't need to be here... AND now I am here with NO car to leave in.

So, I figured since I was already here I would go ahead and get a little work done and then call Vince to come pick me back up in a couple of hours. Yea.. well that was the plan at least, but that was 5 hours ago and yet I am still here. Why you ask.. because shortly after I decided to stay my boss stopped by the office too and when he saw I was here he was like "oh great, now we can take the phones off the answering service and stay open for the day" (yea "great" wouldn't have been my first choice of a word, but ok..) "you don't mind helping with the phones since all the secretaries are out do you" No, of course not. I would love to stay here and answer the phones while everyone else stays home and enjoys the snow day.

So yea, that is how I ended up working when technically my office is closed for the day. But hey, at least it makes me look like a star employee to my boss, right? (I have to get bonus points for this! haha) And since hardly anyone else is even here, it's not like it's a very busy day.. so I guess I really shouldn't complain. (Except for the fact that I would much rather be curled up on the couch with Vice and Ty watching movies all day)

Well at least it's Thursday, which means tomorrow is FRIDAY! Plus Vince is taking me to PF Changs for dinner tonight to celebrate Valentine's Day a little early (since we will be away), so I have that to look forward to too!

Hope all of you that ARE home right now are enjoying your snow day :o)  and to those of you who are at work like me.. only one more day till the weekend! haha

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh no! That happened to me last year when we got a ton of snow. There were only 4 people in our entire office and it took me 3 hours each way to get to work!! (It normally takes me 1.5, but still!)

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

Oh my gosh! You are definitely taking the whole situation better than I would.

But I wish we got snow days here at the station... when you work in TV, there are no snow days!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

aww Jenna! don't you just love how that works? haha....
we already have another snow day for tomorrow...while I appreciate a 6 day weekend...we have to make them up, so it kind of sucks too...

Katie S said...

That sucks! At least it wasn't busy and you had a relaxing day at work...Not many people get those..

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yeah I had to go into work today as well, so I know exactly how you're feeling. Sorry you got stuck going.

Selma @ Crazy Little World Of Mine said...

Yay!!!! You really should get a bonus now. :)

angela.kolachny said...

wow girl, way to bite the bullet and take one for the team...of one? loL! you're awesome:o)

enjoy pf changs tonight! yummmmo! and have fun on your trip! dad says to tell you thank you for the bday wishes and to get your tush up to eat at our shop! xo

Becky said...

Found your blog via Katie's Love Swap - that stinks you had to stay at work that day! I don't know if you all are getting anymore snow (in Northern Virginia it's snowing AGAIN!) but stay safe and warm!