Thursday, March 18, 2010

How to make a towel cake..

Jessica at Acting Adult mentioned that maybe I should do a how-to for the towel cake I posted a picture of earlier and since it was SO easy to make I thought it was a good idea! Plus it's a really cute gift for anyone going to a wedding shower :o)

So here is what you need to get started: 

2 bath towels
2 hand towels
2 washcloths
large safety pins
decorative straight pins
flowers and ribbons to decorate the cake (I like to get them in the wedding colors)

Then just follow these 5 easy steps:
 1. Start with the 2 large bath towels. fold them both in thirds long ways and line them up to the ends match up perfectly. Then use the safety pins to secure them together like pictured..


2. Next simply roll the towels to form the base of the cake. (try to roll it tightly) Use the straight pins to keep it together..  (I took this picture after I was done with the entire thing, but you can see the pins I put in after I rolled the towels)


3. Repeat the first two steps with both the hand towels and washcloths. The only thing that changes is that for the washcloths you fold them in half instead of in thirds. 

4. Now that all 3 layer are done, stack them on top of each other and use the straight pins to secure them in place.  (also make sure to line up the straight pins you used to keep the towels together in the back like this picture)

 
5. Now the fun part.. decorate your cake! I started with the ribbon that I wrapped around each layer and secured at the ends with straight pins and then for the flowers I just stuck them into the folded layers (on the bottom layer I used a couple of pins to hold the flowers since there wasn't a towel underneath to stick them into.)

And then you're DONE! 


See, I told you it was super easy AND super cute ;-)

5 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

That does look easy and awesome!!! I might just have to steal that idea for Jessi's bridal shower this weekend! And thanks for complimenting my Easter collage! :)

Lindsey said...

this is so cute!!! I might have to do this for one of my bridal showers that I have to attend in the upcoming months. thank you for sharing!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I still think this is the cutest thing! I'm dying to go to a wedding shower now, so I can make one of these!

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

Thank you so much! I totally have to have a visual before I do a crafting thing like that. I'm definitely going to try one for a friend's shower. I'll post pics! Thanks again for the help!